Seven Steps to Purchasing Your Home
Step 1: Meet with us. Tell us what is important to you.
- Help us understand your needs and values by completing our Home Buyers’ Questionnaire
- Identify your expectations, preferences, and special circumstances
Step 2: Decide how you want to go about finding your next Portland home.
- Understand agency law in Oregon
- Execute a Buyer Representation Agreement
Step 3: Get your finances in order.
- Get pre-qualified, or better, pre-approved for your choice of loan
Step 4: Find the right home.
We will show you any available home.
- Complete, thorough, and efficient search
- Networking to find unpublicized homes
- Special circumstances
- Listing agent of prospective home
- New subdivisions with “First Contact” clauses
- Unrepresented sellers (FSBO) and other non-RMLS homes
- Short sales and bank owned homes
Step 5: Negotiate the purchase agreement.
- Negotiation strategies
- Key terms and conditions
- Offer, Seller’s Counter-Offer, Buyer’s Counter-Offer
Step 6: Work through the closing process.
- Inspections and verifications
- General whole house inspection
- Special inspections (e.g., sewer lines, radon, asbestos, etc)
- Seller’s property disclosures
- Repair negotiations, completion and inspection
- Take possession – forward mail, transfer utilities and other accounts, get keys from us