While the weather may not be cooling down just yet, signs of fall are here! The school buses have started their engines and schools are opening their doors welcoming in new faces. This week many kids in the Portland area are heading back to school, and Portland Home Team wishes all families good luck this fall quarter!
We know it’s hard to get back into the swing of things after an eventful summer vacation, so we’ve made a list of essentials for setting the back-to-school routine:
- Set a consistent bedtime & wake up time.
- Pack healthy lunches the night before so mornings go smoother.
- Eat a high-protein breakfast to start the day off right.
- Set a staging area: Find a central spot to store everything related to school, including backpacks, upcoming outfits, and a dry erase calendar with family schedules. Try to keep this area free of clutter and other non-school items so that you can find what you need when you need it.
And here are some safety reminders for drivers from KATU News for the commute adjustment as we see more cars and buses on the roads:
- Pay attention to 20 mph school zones
- Don’t pass school buses with stop signs out flashing lights (unless you are on the other side of a divided highway/median)
- The space 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for students. Give them enough space to safely get on and off the bus.
- Never pass a car that is stopped at a crosswalk, as there may be people crossing that you don’t see.
- Don’t stop with part of your car over a crosswalk, as that could put pedestrians in a dangerous situation in a roadway.
- Be alert and pack your patience!
Check out our Search Homes by School District page to view maps of schools, top-rated schools, monthly school reports and more school-related information.