Watching the snow melt means warmer weather is upon us. It also means that that your basement or crawl space is at risk. Take a few precautions now to save your basement from becoming a flooded mess.
- Clear snow and debris from roof gutters if you can do so safely. Check that downspouts and sump pumps drain away from the house.
- Move excess accumulations away from the foundation, downspouts, basement window wells, and outside stairwells.
- Create a drainage path to catch basins or to low point water collection areas.
- Clear drains, including the storm water drain in your street, of excess snow and debris.
- Check hose bibs for leaks.
- Shovel your walkway if you can. Melted snow gets into concrete cracks, refreezes, and expands, thereby widening those cracks. Removing snow and ice as it melts minimizes the damage.
- Pay attention to the forecast. Rain melts snow quickly.
Should you run into problems, call us at 503-222-4300. We can help.